Sunday, January 25, 2009

Karma?

Is it karma, or is it Murphy's Law? I don't know but I should have heeded the warning. You see, Grant and I both have lap-tops. He uses his for work and schleps it all around so it probably sees its fair share of bumps and shakes. I mostly use mine at home (especially since I'm finished with classes!) but keep confirmations, pictures, financial info, etc.. . on it. We're getting to be quite dependent on them. And, a few weeks ago a little voice in my head said it was about time I get us a back-up system for home computers. Well, I went straight-away to Best Buy and stood in front of the wall of external hard drives and servers for at least 1/2 hour and nobody even stopped to try to get me to buy. I was really unsure what would work best for us, and left empty-handed. Well, a week-or-so later, Grant returned home from his whirl-wind business trip around the country, and IT happened. After one day working from home, his computer refuses to boot up! There was, the reason I was supposed to buy a back-up! Maybe this is something like the investment club I was in, where when ever we chose a stock, the price would plummet within just a few weeks!

Anyhow, I've dropped a hefty sum but now have my own networked server which will not only back-up both our PCs,will network the printer and will allow me to share files/pics with you directly, without having to go through a web site! I'm so geeked out about it. Hopefully the geek squad will come through for Grant!

No comments: